Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Swim Analysis and St. Patty's Day 5k!

This week I finally grabbed a swim lesson with Coach Jason. It was good and bad. Good because he was able to quickly point out my inefficiencies and give me drills to work on.  This is what you would expect and I know in the long term it will help me conserve energy for the bike and run. Now, the 'bad' part was that it totally messed with my psyche. Here I was thinking how efficient my swimming had become, and in reality it had come a long way in two months, however the harsh truth was that I have a tremendous amount of work to do. The really bad part was that my first swim following the lesson was rough. I had all of these thoughts flowing in my head. I felt like I had almost forgot how to swim. I only made it about 1000 yards of what should've been a 3000 yard workout. I was upset and immediately called Jason post workout. He was there for moral support, talked me off the ledge and walked me through a high-level plan to get back in the pool. In my book, these are the characteristics that separate the good coaches from the great ones. The way I see it my swimming can only improve from here.
Photo: Fun st. Pats 5k!!


I also ran in the Pacific Swim Bike Run St. Patty's Day 5k on Sunday. What a blast! I was able to get a PR - even after a brutal week of training. Which leads me to think that my running efficiency is already improving thanks to my run form analysis last month!

- Mark
 

No comments:

Post a Comment